Be aware that the client is likely to experience a short-term drop in rankings immediately following your primary domain change. However, by following the steps below you should see your rankings rebound to post change levels, around the same time we quote when clients first start SEO with us.
- To make sure Google and your visitors are sent to the new domain, you'll need to set up server-side 301 redirects in your new domain. This small piece of code indicates that you have made a permanent move to the new domain and that all traffic - direct and search - should be forwarded to the new URLs.
- The importance of this step cannot be overstated. Properly setting up 301 redirects is the key to maintaining their search rankings.
- Without this critical step, you'll essentially be hosting two identical sites, and setting yourself up for major duplicate content penalties.
- Create 404 pages for content that has no equivalent on the new domain.
New Domain Considerations
- A more user-friendly domain name has become available: If you've been stuck with a .net or .biz domain and suddenly a .com becomes available, you may want to consider grabbing it and moving your site to the new domain. While it's certainly not necessary to do so, .com domains can be easier for your customers to remember, and may convey a greater level of credibility than, for instance, a .biz domain.
- Your business name has changed and you want your domain to reflect this: There isn't really any way around this one. If your business name has changed, you'll want to change your domain to maintain consistent branding.
- If the domain has expired: When purchasing a new domain with a customer common practices for picking a new domain beneficial to the clients SEO some common practices are to avoid hyphens, try to keep the domain below 15 characters, and as always try to maintain consistent branding.
Cost for additional domain is $25 and will renew yearly
Choosing a New Domain
- See if domain name is available at Godaddy.com
- Having keywords/city in the domain name has a slight effect, but not enough to deter someone from using a different name if they want it more
- DownersGrovePeriodontist.com vs. PerioDG.com
- We will not buy international domain names
- Domain cost should be under $15 -- we will not purchase premium domain names
- Always make sure the domain is available for purchase prior to putting it in for order
**CHECK THE PRICING FOR A DOMAIN – WE WILL NOT PURCHASE A “PREMIUM” DOMAIN NAME**
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CHECK THE PRICING
Once you have confirmed that the domain is available for purchase, put ticket in for purchase to IT specialist.